Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Favorite Quotes from Hamlet, Acts I and II

Good morning, all! I'm reading Hamlet, and I must say, I absolutely adore some of these phrases.


 "But look, the morn in russet mantle clad
Walks o'er the dew of yon high eastward hill."
--Horatio, in I.i.183-184.
So beautiful! i love personification. I'm going to say this every time I see a sunrise, now.

"But break, my heart, for I must hold my tongue."
--Hamlet, in I.ii.162.
So sad. :( Hamlet's such a depressing character. At least he can be poetically melodramatic!

"Our duty to your honor." 
-- Horatio, Marcellus, and Barnardo, to Hamlet, in I.ii.272.
So loyal! The Prince has good friends. Too bad it's a tragedy...

"These are but wild and whirling words, my lord."
--Horatio, to Hamlet, in I.v.146.
So fun to say! (Seriously. Try it. With the iambic pentameter and everything.)
  
"For your desire to know what is between us,
O'ermaster't, as you may." 
--Hamlet, to Horatio and Marcellus, in I.v.153-154.
So awesome. I want to have a secret with somebody just so I can say this to the curious wonderers!

I shall post more, when I find them! Hm, Polonius has some great advice in his speeches... Maybe I'll do a Polonius Exclusive?

Have a good day!
Love,

1 comment:

michelle said...

:) neat quotes evie!! haha I like the whole conversation in act 3 scene 4 :) as a matter of fact i did it for oral interp. last year...
wouldn't it be funny if in response to a nasty comment someone said "What have I done, that thou dar'st wag thy tongue"-wag your tongue?? LOL-"in noise so rude against me?" hehe sad but great play. see ya soon!!